Jan 23, 2018
iCal is the calendar application for Mac OS X. It is CalDAV enabled and therefore able to incorporate your Sobs information on the calendar display.
Configuring iCal access to Sobs
First we have to enable Calendar access to your Sobs account (if you have already completed this step for another calendar application then it is not necessary to repeat this process):
- From a web browser log into your Sobs system as normal
- Click on ‘My profile’ in the left hand menu
- You may see an entry ‘Share’ that is currently disabled
- Click the ‘Edit details below’ button
- Scroll down to the ‘Share’ entry and place a tick in the checkbox
- The checkbox will be replaced by a text box – type a password into this box. This is not your network password, it is a separate password that will be entered here and then once on your Mac. You can always come back here and reset this password if you ever need to reconfigure access (eg if you are setting up a new Mac)
- Click the ‘Save’ button at the bottom of the page
- With this access enabled you will now see more details about the connection, including a URL to be entered into the iCal application on your Mac – in step 7 below
Now start up iCal on your Mac and follow these steps:
- Open the preferences dialog (from the Menu, iCal | Preferences)
- Click on the ‘Accounts’ tab
- Click the “+” button at the bottom of this dialog to add a new account
- Select the account type of “CalDAV”
- Enter your Sobs username
- Enter the same password you used to enable calendar sharing on Sobs (step 6 above)
- Enter the server address as displayed on your ‘My profile’ page in Sobs – the was from step 8 above
- You will be asked to confirm an insecure connection, however CalDAV authentication is always encrypted before sending so just click ‘Continue’
- The account has now been created and the connection enabled
- There is a ‘Refresh calendars’ option that you can now set. By default this will check the Sobs server for changes every 15 minutes which is quite appropriate. If you wished to change it to less often, every 30 minutes or hour, these are also appropriate
- Close this dialog
- Sobs information should immediately begin displaying in your iCal calendar
What will I see in iCal?
Depends entirely upon the applications your school has subscribed to.
- Room & Resource Booking: You will see rooms and resources you have booked. The room / resource name will appear as the main title on the calendar entry
- School Calendar: You will see all calendar events you would normally see when logged into this application. The event title will appear as the main title on the iPhone calendar entry
- Parent/Teacher Interview Bookings: You will see the names of the student and parent that you are booked to meet with
At this point we do not support events being uploaded from your iCal application, however in time we may support this in a limited fashion.