Jan 23, 2018
The Google Calendar application supports the option of “subscribing to calendars”. This is true of a number of calendar applications so this article has been written with other calendar applications in mind also.
If your calendar application supports CalDAV you should use that option in preference to a ‘subscribed’ calendar. The subscribed version simply downloads an ICS file of public events and imports these to your calendar. CalDAV supports a greater integration of calendar functions including authentication, meaning you will see all of your individual Sobs information – events, bookings and interviews. At the time of writing (October 2011) Google Calendar does not support CalDAV client functions and therefore can not use this enhanced option.
There are two main steps to configuring your Google Calendar integration, firstly establishing the subscriber URL in your Sobs system, and then secondly adding this URL to your Google Calendar. The steps required for both of these actions are detailed below.
Only valid with the SOBS School Calendar application
Currently this option is only available with the SOBS School Calendar application.
We have limited this option to publicly accessible information only as the subscriber does not have the opportunity to enter any authentication details.
Sobs will only include events from the School Calendar marked as ‘Public view’. No other information is provided at this time. You can therefore provide this link to parents who want these school events to appear on their own phones or calendars.
The ‘Subscriber’ URL
To enable this option and locate the URL
- From a web browser log into the SOBS School Calendar application as a SOBS Administrator
- Click on ‘School Settings’ in the left hand menu
- Click on the ‘CAL’ tab
- Click the ‘Edit’ button in the top right corner
- Check the ‘Public view’ box and click ‘Save’
- This will enable public-view options and displays the Subscriber URL
- You can provide this Subscriber URL to all of the staff, students, parents and friends of your school who may like to subscribe to this event list (below is an example of subscribing using Google Calendar and this URL)
Configuring Google Calendar to display Public-view events
Google Calendar provides an option to ‘subscribe’ to an external calendar. It will import ‘Public view’ events from Sobs when you first enter the Subscriber URL and appears to refresh the information approximately every 12 hours.
- Log into your Google Calendar normally
- Click the small “Options” wheel in the top right corner of the page – a drop-down menu will display
- Select ‘Calendar settings’
- This will display you “General” calendar settings – click the ‘Calendars’ tab
- This will display two lists, the first list contains the Google calendars you have access to, the second list is ‘Other calendars’ that you subscribe to. On the subscribed calendar list click the ‘Browse interesting calendars’ link (on the right hand side of the page)
- Click the ‘Add by URL’ link in the menu on the right hand side of the page
- Enter the SOBS Subscriber URL provided (from the list above, it should contain the text “Sabre/s2.php”)